Thursday, June 16, 2011

Zelda Logic

Song I'm listening to: Angel - Javier Colon (and Time after Time)

Yes, this is a blog about playing a video game. I'm a dork. :D

This week I busted out The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time again after not playing it for several years. I started a new game (I named "Link" Napoleon this time. Bonaparte or Dynamite, take your pick) and started on the epic adventure once again. I do believe this game and Mario 64 are some of the most popular games or something, I can't really remember anymore. I was impressed that I still remembered how to do mostly everything, especially since I learned how to beat the game just by watching my brother play it.

Playing it when you're 19 is much different than when you're ten, though, as I've learned. When I was 10, I didn't question anything that happened or questioned any of the logic of the game.

The only thing I questioned was why the Hero of Time was wearing a skirt

Since restarting the game now, I'm starting to learn some very interesting things about the Zelda universe:

As a child: 
You can push a giant stone block just fine, but you need a special bracelet to rip grass out of the ground
You go on a great mission to destroy a curse, then learn it was doomed from the beginning
You can tell complete strangers that you have precious artifacts on you
After learning 6 to 8 notes of a song, you automatically know the rest
Rolling a giant lizard in to a lava pit will cool the lava
Destroying pottery and gravestones is totally acceptable
Bats live in underground tombs

As an Adult:
You do exactly what you're supposed to, but you help the bad guy by mistake... in a cut scene.
Leaving the precious stones lying in an open space won't provoke anyone to steal them
Your character is seen as incredibly handsome by everyone... including dudes
Milk that's been in your pocket for 7 years doesn't go bad
Most people won't recognize you after 7 years, even if you're wearing the same silly outfit
You kill ghosts... with arrows

There's also been some great lines of dialogue in here that I never noticed, including:

"Without a fairy, you're not even a real man!"
He's a real man now

And... well, here's a screen shot of what the creepy dude says in the next one.
Link then abandons his destiny as the Hero of Time and becomes a gigolo.

I'm just starting to realize that when I was younger, I never really realized that the pure logic of the game is a little off. Jumping off a giant cliff and rolling on the ground won't hurt you? Cool! Dungeons are inside fish? Cool! If you bust open a rock, money will fall out? That's great!  A guy wants you to take "mushrooms" to an old lady so she can make "medicine" out of it? Yay, magic! 

Maybe now I'm older and have a more realistic view on things, but it doesn't mean I'm not having a blast playing this. It really does bring me back to when I was younger and would watch my older siblings play. That makes me smile. I work so much now and get so exhausted, and sometimes I feel like I lose my big imagination somewhere in between all of that. Dusting off this game and going through the magical world of Hyrule again makes me happy, and even though I giggle at how unrealistic things are, it doesn't really matter. It's a game, and it's a magical land that I'm saving. 

I'm telling you all today, don't lose that inner kid inside of you. It may help keep you sane sometimes. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment